Monday, July 29, 2013

Heath Ceramics Tour

Our road trip to Northern California is fast approaching as we are working really hard to wrap up work before we leave! We were originally planning to make it all the way up to Oregon, but unfortunately we do not have that kind of time before the kids start school! However, we are very excited to be able to take a different kind of trip visiting places that our new to us since we've done all the city stuff already! One of our stops will be Sausalito, CA which I have never been. This is also home to the original Heath Ceramics factory. My favorite! I am very excited for the tour I was able to book for us.
Every aspect of their tile and tableware production, from clay-making to kiln-firing, is done right there in their Sausalito factory. The building was built in 1959 for Heath Ceramics. It was designed by the mid-century architecture firm Marquis & Stoller in collaboration with Edith Heath.







I've done most crafts in my life, but making ceramics & pottery is one I have not although I always wanted to. I am looking forward to learn more about their process and did I mention they have a "seconds" shop there too? I hope I don't go too crazy....

To learn more and for their online shop go to: Heath Ceramics